It’s the start of the lunar new year (#YearoftheRooster!), so today I’m wishing everyone good health and happy eating with this purple-powered Asian noodle bowl.
Black rice noodles become a deep shade of purple when they’re cooked. In Chinese cuisine it’s known as “forbidden rice” because it was meant to be eaten by royalty, not commoners. These days, black rice is gaining favour for being rich in fibre and having more antioxidants than blueberries.
Purple cabbage and kimchi pack this bowl with more colour, nutrients and crunch. For protein, toss in some eda mame (and look for organic).
See the recipe below, a great example of easy one-pot cooking.
Spicy sesame black rice noodles with kimchi and cabbage
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 25 to 30 minutes
Total time: 40 to 45 minutes
1 pack (250 g or 8.8 oz) black rice noodles (I used organic King Soba)
1/2 medium purple cabbage, shredded
3 cups frozen eda mame, boiled and shelled
1 to 2 cups kimchi
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/4 medium purple onion, chopped
fresh ginger, minced
1 tbsp grapeseed oil
3 tbsp sesame oil
3 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
3 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tbsp Sambal chili paste
white sesame seeds
chili flakes (optional)
- In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add the noodles gently and cook for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain the noodles in a colander under cold water. Pour 1 teaspoon of grapeseed oil on the noodles to keep them from sticking.
- In the same pot, boil the eda mame for 5 minutes and strain in a colander under cold water.
- In the same pot, heat the grapeseed oil on high heat. Sauté the garlic, onion and ginger for 3 minutes.
- Add the cabbage and fry for 5 minutes, until slightly tender. Add the kimchi.
- Pour in the sesame oil, tamari or soy sauce, rice vinegar and chili paste. Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the noodles and stir-fry for 3 minutes. Remove the eda mame from the shells and combine with the noodles.
- Sprinkle sesame seeds and chili flakes on top.
More black rice recipes:
Moroccan-style black rice salad
Asian black rice salad with ginger orange dressing
Thai coconut black rice pudding
black rice, beet and kale salad with cider flax dressing
baked orange cauliflower and forbidden rice
pan-seared tofu over black rice noodles
One thought on “Spicy sesame black rice noodles with kimchi and cabbage”