The classic French toast recipe—cooked in butter and cream, drenched in maple syrup and sprinkled with cinnamon—is adapted here into savoury bliss on a plate.
This vegan version calls for thick slices of bread dipped in a chickpea flour batter, fried in coconut oil, spiced with turmeric, thyme and roasted garlic, and topped with sautéed portobello mushrooms.
Chickpea flour and ground chia seeds form a thick, “eggy” batter while nutritional yeast provides a “cheesy” touch.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 30 to 35 minutes
Total time: 40 to 45 minutes
2 slices of whole wheat bread
1 to 2 cups of portobello or cremini mushrooms, sliced
1 to 2 tbsp of coconut oil
2 to 3 cloves of garlic (use less if you prefer a less garlicky flavour)
salt to taste
For the batter:
1/2 cup almond milk
1/2 cup chickpea flour
1/2 tbsp ground chia seeds
1 tbsp turmeric
- In an oven preheated to 250 degrees Fahrenheit, roast the garlic in 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil for 20 minutes.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the almond milk, chickpea flour, chia seeds and turmeric. Let it stand for 15 minutes (or longer, for a thicker batter). Dip the bread in the mixture.
- In a medium to large pan, heat the coconut oil and sauté the mushrooms.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, add the bread to the pan, sprinkle with nutritional yeast and cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side or until toasted.
- Serve with the roasted garlic, thyme and salt.