Mark this versatile drink on your holiday calendar. It’s like Nutella meets hot chocolate and it also feels like a rich, nutty milkshake when served cold. Add a shot (or two or three) of rum, and your cocktail party is complete.
The key to thickening this un-eggy eggnog? Chia seeds. Better than cornstarch and other thickeners, chia seeds are a healthy egg replacement in vegan cooking.
You’ll likely have the other ingredients already in your pantry, most of which can be purchased in bulk. I used vanilla oat milk here, but any non-dairy milk will work.
Cheers to festive drinks! Enjoy responsibly!
Prep time: 5 minutes
Total time: 60 minutes, including time chilling in the fridge
Serves: two small cups or one large mug
2 cups non-dairy milk (almond, cashew, coconut, or oat)
2 tbsp of cocoa powder
1/2 cup of roasted hazelnuts
1 to 2 tbsp of maple syrup
1 to 2 tbsp of ground chia seeds
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
1 tsp of ground nutmeg
1 tsp of vanilla extract (or 2 tsp of almond extract)
spiced or dark rum as desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 fahrenheit. Roast the hazelnuts for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let the hazelnuts cool for a few minutes.
- Remove the skin from the hazelnuts. They will be creamier when blended.
- In a high-speed blender, blend the hazelnuts on a low setting for 5 to 10 minutes or until a butter is formed. If your blender has a setting for smoothies, it may take less time.
- Add the remaining ingredients and blend well.
- Taste and adjust as you blend. Start with less maple syrup and add more if you prefer more sweetness.
- Chill in the fridge for 30 minutes. The chia seeds will thicken up the mixture.
- Serve cold or hot.
Optional toppings: vegan whipped cream, cacao nibs, cinnamon, nutmeg