Hi folks, it’s been a while! The reason for my absence, during these unusual times, is that I dread grocery shopping (long queues, reduced hours, dodging people around the ice cream aisle). When I’m not motivated to shop, I’m not inspired to cook.
Fortunately, the baguette has been my lifeline the past few months — comforting, cheap and close to home (I get it from the French bakery downstairs). The bread spread options are endless, from basil pesto to garlic mayo; chimichurri to baba ghanoush.
Here, I’m sharing an easy Mediterranean-style topping of roasted eggplant and chickpeas with hummus (I used a roasted red pepper with basil blend). Instead of hummus you could use tahini, tomato sauce or plain, dairy-free yogurt. I garnished mine with fresh mint leaves; basil works too. It’s also tasty with olive oil, lemon juice and rosemary or thyme.
Roasted eggplant and chickpeas on a baguette
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 65 to 70 minutes
Total: 75 to 80 minutes
Eggplant, sliced about 1/2 inch thick
Basil or mint leaves
Squeeze of a lemon
Salt and pepper
Optional: nutritional yeast
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit.
- In a baking dish, spread the eggplant slices.
- Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
- Roast for 45 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, flip the eggplant.
- Add the chickpeas to the same dish and continue roasting (about 25 minutes).
- Toast the baguette and spread with hummus.
- Top with fresh basil or mint, pepper and sesame seeds.