This week I’m sharing another easy thing to put on toast that isn’t avocado. Chances are you already have these items at home, and your kitchen will smell like you just baked an apple pie from scratch.
I added fresh strawberries here, but feel free to top with banana slices or any type of berry. I poured a steady stream of maple syrup all over; you could also spread a nut butter on the toast.
As a decadent topping, try vegan yogurt or coconut whipped cream. And for extra texture, sprinkle chopped walnuts or almond slices.
One-pan caramelized apple and berries on coconut toast
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 10 to 12 minutes
Total time: 15 to 17 minutes
2 slices of whole wheat bread
1 to 2 tbsp of coconut oil
Seeds such as flax, chia or pumpkin
- Chop an apple into small pieces. Sprinkle with cinnamon and add a few drops of vanilla extract.
- While you’re chopping, heat the pan with coconut oil on medium to medium-high.
- On one side of the pan, sauté the apple pieces.
- On the other side of the pan, lay down the bread slices. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Keep stirring the apple pieces so that they brown evenly.
- After about 5 minutes, flip the bread slices.*
- Watch for the apple to become tender and not too mushy.
- Remove from the pan and transfer to a plate. Sprinkle the seeds last.
*If needed, add a bit more coconut oil to prevent sticking.